Friday, September 20, 2013

Chocolate Zucchini Protein Muffins.

Hi my name is Elizabeth and I'm addicted to muffins.
That soft, gooey little dude that pairs perfectly with dark coffee.
Moist, just a bit crumbly and so sweet and delicious you plan your day around eating it.
Just me?
Stud muffin
Ummm................I digress.
Oh. Growing up in a large family, all of us girls learned to cook and helped quite a bit in the kitchen. My sisters are stellar cooks. I managed to get the short end of a lot of genes in my family, including in the kitchen, but the one thing I was famous for was my muffinry. (I realize I just made up that word, but roll with it people.) Anytime I had muffins in the oven, I had a line of siblings waiting in the kitchen for the timer to ring and the first tray to come out. My teenage brothers can put away 6 muffins in one sitting, so I had a lot of muffin-making practice and almost as much muffin-tasting practice.

Unfortunately...........most muffins are oh-so-yummy-to-your-tummy and oh-so-crappy-for-your-lappy. I mean......eat them and watch your lap disappear while your waistline grows. Or maybe I'm too dedicated to rhyming and I should have let that one slide.........

My goal was to recreate the oh-so-tasty muffin with a better protein to carb ratio. 
I'm happy to say that after two trials runs, I've developed the ideal little muffin- high in protein, low in carbs and perfectly decadent without processed junk to clog up your system. 
Bake 'em, taste 'em and if you eat them all in one sitting, it won't be the end of the world.
First there was a messy kitchen...........

Then there was attempt #1, which I named 'fake cake'. It turned out okay, but I knew I could do better.

And then there was the second attempt, and the little muffin that made everyone break out in smiles!!
Moist, full of flavor, with the melty dark chocolate inside. Um. YUM!!!

Zucchini Chocolate Espresso Protein Muffins.
6 egg whites
2 cups shredded zucchini
1/3 cup coconut oil
1/3 cup pure maple syrup
4 scoops chocolate protein powder
4 TBS cocoa powder
2 TBS instant espresso granules
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup maxi dark chocolate chips
In separate bowls, combine wet and dry ingredients, omitting chocolate chips. Combine both wet & dry ingredients until just mixed. (It will be pretty runny/soupy-- no worries!!) Generously spray muffin tin. Pour 1/4 cup mixture into each muffin tin. Garnish with 3 chips. 
Bake at 350 for 18 minutes. 
*DO NOT overcook!! Protein powder turns to RUBBER if you overcook it! Watch it carefully and adjust cooking time if needed!! 
Macros: Each muffin is 160 calories, 8.4 grams fat, 13.3 grams protein and 14 grams of carbs. 12 servings.

Happy muffin making!! If you like the recipe, be sure to tell me what you think!

2 comments:

  1. muffinry :) I like that term! I also really like this recipe! So much protein!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally clicked on this post because of the stud muffin picture :) That's a good one.

    ReplyDelete