Tuesday, August 14, 2012

1/2 Marathon Training Begins!!

So, so, so--- I'm getting ready to get a little crazy!
This week I officially began training for a 1/2 marathon!!
I'm so excited! Right now I am focusing on training my mind even more than my body. I KNOW I can run it, but I need to KNOW it with everything I am- my mind, my soul & my body. It's a race you run in your mind- and I fully plan to run it and run it well!

In my typical OCD fashion I spent several hours online googling local races before I finally settled on the Pilgrim Pacer in Shawnee Park, KS. I have friends who live in Shawnee Park area, so I've run a few runs in that area and it's beautiful.

The 1/2 is on November 10th and I am already praying for good weather I am praying for overcast skies, 50* and no rain. I guess I should also specify that I'm hoping for no snow as well. :)


I am using Hal Higdon's 1/2 marathon training plan to train for this 1/2. I don't think I need a specific training plan, but I want to be really focused, stay on track, taper well and make sure I get the right ratio of rest and cross training. Having it all out on paper for me is super motivating. Maybe it's my OCD but just looking at my freshly marked calendar of training runs give me a blast of endorphins. 


When I originally decided to run this 1/2 I immediately started bouncing around times in my head for how fast I wanted to finish. I've really vacillated between setting a goal time and not because I can see a lot of pros and cons to both.
In my two 5ks this summer I set a goal time for both of them; one of them I met and the other I didn't. I have only been running for 8 months and it is still work for me. It's not smooth gliding and shut-my-brain off and think about what-ever-I-want-to. It's put one foot in front of the other and try and make it to the next mail box. I'm my own worst critic and I am always telling myself I need to run faster, further, with better form, more often.
Balancing this with believing in myself and pushing myself to my limits is something I'm still learning. It's a tough tight-rope. :)
I have decided to set a goal to finish the 1/2 marathon sub 150 minutes/2.5 hours.


Honestly deciding to run this 1/2 marathon is several miles outside of my comfort zone.
Aren't runners supposed to be skinny?
Aren't they supposed to be fast?
Aren't they supposed to have cute, matching workout gear?

Maybe. I don't know. But I do know that
 Runners are strong. Runners are positive. Runners reach for the stars.

Q's;

Have you run a 1/2 marathon?

What was the hardest part?

What is the best advice you give someone training for one?

What color socks will make you run the fastest?

2 comments:

  1. Glad to find your blog here! A first half marathon is very exciting. I had no training plan for my first half. I actually found out I was pregnant with number 2 right before I ran it...so it helped me to keep pretty conservative in the first half. It felt good to start the race easy, then get into it as kept feeling good.
    Hope you have no snow for it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can do it!! Just remember to enjoy it, dont focus so much on the time. I ran my first 1/2 in May of 2011 and ran the same 1/2 this May. Its known for being a hilly 1/2, and while they up hills are HARD, I have learned how to safely TEAR DOWN the downhills and that really helps my overall pace. I actually loved the 1/2 marathon distance! Best advice: dont think you need to follow your training plan TO A 'T', if you need to switch some runs around. Fine. If you need to walk some. Fine. If you dont make the exact mileage on every training run, you'll be fine. A friend of my hubby's ran a 1/2 in May with his previous long run only being 6 miles! He was sore afterwards but he did fine. Sock color: anything neon.
    =)

    ReplyDelete