Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Getting my Paleo On.

Yesterday I crossed the 1/2 way mark of my 30 day experiment with the Paleo eating method.
I'm amazed at how quickly the time has gone by; two weeks has zipped.
Because I already avoided processed & packaged foods and ate more vegetables than a small family of rabbits; in a lot of ways I haven't had to make that many alterations. This has definitely made the transition a bit easier. Eating out/as a guest is the tricky part, sometimes there just seems to be no appealing option.  
 
I'd love to say that I feel ah-mazing, but I haven't really noticed any major changes. Most of my symptoms are still persisting. But, it takes time for your body to adapt, so I'm willing to stick it out for at least the 30 days.
 
What I'm NOT Loving:
 
Missing my oatmeal. It's my first choice for breakfast, so living without it hasn't been my favorite.
 
Living with out greek yogurt & cheese. I relied on greek yogurt and hard cheeses for a quick/healthy protein source at least once a day, sometimes 2x. And of course, I just like the taste. :)
 
Watching the scale jump up 8 pounds. Ouch. While this change in my regular eating habits was not motivated by weight loss, it certainly was NOT intended to increase my weight. I'm at a bit of a loss but I'm mature enough to not freak out. (NO, that isn't true, I'M FREAKING OUT!!!) 
 
What I AM Loving:
 
Making goodies with these tasty treats. I made some great energy/protein bars to stockpile for fridge for the pinch when I don't have time to fix a meal or snack. Dates, coconut, flax seed, pumpkin seeds, almonds......good stuff ya'll.
 
Smoothies, smoothies and more smoothies. Sometimes you just need to get it in your belly so fast that you skip the cup and throw it down straight out of the blender. (Or maybe you are already dressed for work and you know the chances of pouring it into a cup without spilling it are 1 in 15 billion so your blender becomes a two-in-one blender and travel mug.)

Stir-fry. Chicken, Steak or Shrimp really hit the spot. Usually at the beginning of the week I will stirfry enough veggies and meat for 4 or 5 meals and store them seperately in the fridge. Quick and amazing lunch or dinner.
 
Reading this book^^^.
So far so fascinating, but I'm still in the first couple of chapters!!
 
On a completely hilarious note- I was talking to my Mom about food the other day and my 8 year old brother was sitting half-listening to our conversation. After a few minutes, he piped in- "wait, Elizabeth, are you telling me you want to be pale?? Why are you going to be pale? How do you EAT pale?" I guess he wasn't picking up on the O part of the word!
Love this boy!! :)


4 comments:

  1. I am glad you are enjoying the Paleo diet so far. It is funny you said what you are missing most is oatmeal, Greek yogurt, and cheese. I have thought about the paleo diet before, but I would never want to give up oatmeal and Greek yogurt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. attempted paleo for about .5 seconds, and found I couldn't live without oatmeal, greek yogurt or peanut butter. good for you for trying it out !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I don't think I could stick with it, specifically because of the oatmeal, that is great that you are doing it! Your stirfrys look yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the pic of you drinking out of the blender!

    I have a ton of respect for you for not giving up on Paleo! I never would have guessed weight gain would happen, but maybe it's just your body adjusting? I know nothing... :)

    ReplyDelete