Tuesday, March 19, 2013

30 Days of Paleo.

For the past several months the health and fitness community has been ablaze with the Paleo Lifestyle/Diet. I've read countless blogs and articles about the benefits, the super awesome results, the HARD work that it takes to make the change. I've considered trying the Paleo Diet before, but it hasn't been a priority for me. (Honestly, it's a bit of an 'extreme' and the only times that I have tried strict eating guidelines, they have triggered unhealthy disorders for me.)

One of the recommendations from my health professionals has been to adopt the Paleo method and see if I experience any relief from the health struggles I have been encountering. Initially when they suggested it; I didn't even want to consider it, but I'm trying not to have such a thick head and be a little bit less headstrong. 
If you are NOT familiar with Paleo, you probably don't have Facebook, Pinterest, a gym membership or read very many blogs. I kid, I kid. If you haven't heard of it before- Paleo is also known as the 'Caveman Diet' or 'Primal Eating'. Meat, vegetables, healthy fats, nuts and fruits in moderation while avoiding all grains, dairy, legumes, natural/unnatural sweetners/sugar and caffeine.

I've decided to take the next 30 days and give Paleo my best shot. I'm not going to wade in half-heartedly; I'm jumping in head over heels. Hard-core Paleo.
Call me crazy. Yes, it's crazy.

I am NOT trying Paleo for weight loss. While I still have weight to loose in order to reach my goal (healthy) weight, I am not focused on the scale right now. My main objective in life is to be healthy and fit, which includes a healthy weight but is so, SO much more than numbers on the scale. If I end up loosing weight in the next 30 days, that's awesome, but it's NOT my priority.


I know without a doubt the hardest thing for me to give up will be oatmeal. I eat oatmeal for breakfast almost every single day. I just love my oatmeal. Taking a break from my oats is not going to be easy. I will also greatly miss my greek yogurt.
The easiest thing about Paleo will be that I love all vegetable and fruits. Vegetables and fruits make up about 50% of my regular diet, so I won't have to force myself to choke them down. I know this is a difficult thing for a lot of people, but vegetables are actually some of my favorite foods.

It's a little bit overwhelming to look at all the little factors that this change is going to require. I'm typically a very organized person, but I'm going to need to be especially particular and prepared. Having ready-to-go approved snacks and quick grab meals will be super important because my schedule is so unpredictable. I don't want to find myself stuck with the option of not eating, or eating something that's not approved.

I'm excited and nervous about the upcoming 30 days. I had my 'good-bye' bowl of oatmeal tonight and then I moved the oats from my kitchen out to the porch freezer so that they don't even tempt me. :) I also did a quick clean out of any foods that would be problems for me that were lingering in my fridge or cupboards. I was surprised to see how few foods I had that were not Paleo approved. (Or maybe it's just grocery day tomorrow. haha!)
I'll be sharing the details of this change with you over the next 30 days.

Do you eat Paleo?
Have you ever altered your regular diet for health reasons?
Paleo friends-- please share your favorite tips to avoid 'cheating' and your favorite recipes!

2 comments:

  1. Yesterday I finished the whole 30, a strict paleo plan. I loved it. I too used to eat oatmeal everyday and loved it! I found that eggs keep me full so much longer though and they taste great. My cravings for candy are gone. I found that it actually relieved me from having to think about eating because I didn't have to measure or count anything. I wondered if it would trigger unhealthy restriction in me but ot totally didn't. I didn't experience the boundless energy and awesomeness that some people talk about, but overall I am sold on paleo-ish eating! :) Good luck, can't wait to see how it goes for ya.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My diet is very close to paleo as it is I just never committed to it 100% I would love to give it a try though!

    You're making me want to try!

    ReplyDelete