Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Run woman Run.

Workout- 3 mile run
arms & shoulders strength session

I am tackling some major items on my to-do list today. Like drinking an entire pot of coffee by myself.

This morning was nearly PERFECT running weather. 37 degrees, sunny with a slight breeze. I don't know about you, but I can't think of any better way to start my day than a run out in the brisk air. It's cold to start, but you warm up and by the end you feel fannnntastic. Please promise me that if you live in a 365 warm-climate state, you will bucket-list a run in the cold weather!
After I finished my 1/2 on Saturday, I began thinking about when I would run next. I know that proper rest post-race is REALLY important for injury prevention. I decided to take Sunday off and hit it again on Monday morning. Skipping a run on Sunday was pure torture because I felt SO super awesome and my legs wanted to go!!
Monday morning brought some last-minute plans to run with a friend, and I forgot to mention that they were supposed to be recovery/easy miles for me. We busted out the first mile in under 9 minutes. I have never run a sub 9 minute mile in my life, I was shocked that I was running that fast and I felt GOOD! We kept a fast pace and finished 3.5 miles in just over 32 minutes. Wow. I had no idea it was in me to run that fast!!

My run this morning was perfect. I just headed out with no speed or distance goal, I just decided to run as long as I felt good. I ended up running a 5k distance with an average page of 9.22. What the run!?! Since when did I get that fast!? I was amazed to see that Monday's run wasn't just a fluke.....I am faster than I think I am!! My legs felt a bit heavy this morning, but they warmed up well.

I've been contemplating 'what now?' since I'm no longer training for a specific race. I have a couple ideas and goals for these next couple months, and I'll share them in a post later this week. :)

Breakfast- eggs, fruit and coffee. All the essentials for a filling breakfast.

How many days do you take off after a race??

2 comments:

  1. First run after a race depends on how I feel. I'll usually rest 1-2 days then go for a short, slow run. Last year I ran the day after a race and it was brutal. BRUTAL. But I've heard some people will do a shakeout run the night of the race and that it really helps. who knows?

    Just do what feels right for you! Congrats on the race!! WAHOO!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, a 9:22 pace is awesome!! You know, that's exactly how it happened for me!! It seems like just one day, all of a sudden, I could run faster! My 5k's had gone from 36-37 minutes, to suddenly 30-31 minutes! It was crazy!
    I always take off the day after a race or a long run. Can't wait to hear what you're going to do next!

    ReplyDelete